Friday, March 30, 2007

The Antidote to Dirtiness

After a work experience that made me feel exceptionally dirty (and I mean that in a bad way), I met with Jordan Rosenfeld. Now I know Jordan in a number of ways over five (?) years: from Zoetrope where we workshopped short stories on-line, by editing an excellent essay of hers in a literary journal, and from reading each other's novels. But I had never met her in person because we live in different parts of the state.

We had a lovely lunch of mediterranean salads, talked about The Artist's Way, writing in general, our works in progress, our families, and then went to her independent bookstore where I bought:

Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to Present
The Liar's Diary
A Poetry Handbook
and some moleskines

Meeting Jordan was a great antidote to a difficult week. This is my last day of abstaining from reading for Week Four of the Artist's Way. Abstaining from reading and constant work left me with the urge for a gin and tonic at 8:20 in the morning. And I don't like gin. But nourishing human contact made me more centered and aligned with what I believe in. So keep that in mind the next time work leaves you dirty (in a bad way).

And Jordan's blogged about me here.