Monday, March 26, 2007

Web Worker Tax Relief

Telecommuting is a flexible options that employers can offer their employees in order to balance their lives.

I started telecommuting in 1999 while working at a publishing company. I moved to California, but still worked for the office in Massachusetts. It worked out well for me in that it ensured some job stability while we bought a home, and allowed me to avoid the Los Angeles Commute. I was eventually laid-off, so it's not a perfect solution (out of sight, out of mind), but I was able to telecommute from my next job as well, in a more flexible arrangement where I came into the local office a few times a week during off-hours, still avoiding the Los Angeles Commute. Eventually, I started my own business from home, in order to ensure avoiding the Los Angeles Commute permanently.

There is a bill in Congress that would offer some tax relief to telecommuters and companies that use telecommuters as employees. The specifics include reducing the complexity of the home office deduction. And let's just say that the complexity of the home office deduction is about 80% of why we hire someone to do our taxes.

Consider writing your congressperson to tell her/him about your support for it. Check out who your representative is here.

Via Web Worker Daily

Photographs courtesy Philip Greenspun