Thursday, May 17, 2007

Avoid Spider Crotch Syndrome: Douche with Lysol

God help me, I'm perseverating on douching. I wish that I was researching the urban legends of douching, but unfortunately, douching with Lysol appears to be a real historical practice. At least I'm not the only one. Boing Boing has some more old ads about douching with Lysol.

One of the reasons I find old advertisements for Lysol Douching frightening is that there is still very little governmental oversight in terms of how beauty products are marketed. Mainstream beauty products contain parabens (linked to breast cancer) and pthalates (which disrupt reproductive functions). I think if we truly knew more about parabens and pthalates, we would find using them in beauty products as absurd as douching with Lysol.

Via Boing Boing