Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Month Off-line

Since Shutdown Day, I am always up for cutting down on my time on-line. I'm going on a decade of 8-10 hours a day, almost always for work of some kind.

Recently, I cut out Saturday computer time. I found that although I jonesed for the Internet, and email access, much like for a cigarette, I didn't actually miss anything while I was gone. Nothing happened.

Stephen Elliot has some suggestions for how to cut down on time in Surviving a Month Without Internet:

I suggest this as a routine for people who must spend their days in front of a computer and want to accomplish more: Divide your day into online and offline. Studies have consistently shown that people with more screens open get less done. Multitasking slows down productivity. As long as you read your e-mail and respond once every twenty-four hours, nobody is likely to notice. Dedicate at least half of your day to handling non-Internet tasks exclusively. Write a list of things you need to do when you do get online so your Internet time will be more productive.
Excellent ideas. I've already partitioned my morning into my breakfast-hike-write time, which is non-Internet time until 9 a.m. I think I should probably bump it up an hour or two later. Any other ideas?

Read the whole article at Poets and Writers via the venerable Maud Newton