Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why Do I Dislike Al Gore?

Really.

Why do I dislike Al Gore so much? It's an almost visceral reaction of dislike, almost hatred (but not enough energy is expended). And let's be clear: I voted for him, and I'm quite green. But still...I feel strong feelings of dislike toward a man I'll never meet, and a man who seems to have truly found his calling as an environmental prophet, which is admirable.

Why do I feel this way? I have at least three possibilities:

a. Do I hold some sort of resentment against his wife, Tipper, for when she tried to protect me (and other adolescents) from music lyrics in the 1980s? Possibly

b. Do I sense Al is condescending, even when he tries not to be? I think so.

c. Do I think An Inconvenient Truth was a terrible movie? Yes, I do, but it seems to have done a lot of good. At least people are talking about global warming. But the movie seemed like a tribute to his narcissism, really. Of course, I fell asleep in the middle of it after I tired of watching him work at the computer, so perhaps the second half was less about him.

d. Is it some sort of larger dislike of mainstream environmentalism? Or of having corporate allies? Possibly.

In fact, I just remembered what triggered my Al Gore-a-thon: Boing Boing's Live Earth music industry benefits made stupid and evil by terms and conditions. Yup, that was it. The idea that someone (namely an Al Gore affiliate) owns the term "live earth" is perhaps the stupidest thing I've heard all month.

Keeping Bob Sutton's advice in mind, I have really tried to understood Al Gore. I've read a lot about him, I've tried to understand the tremendous amount of grief he must have felt in 2000 when he won the popular vote, but not the election. But still, I come up short as a human being: I still greatly dislike him.

Why? You may answer the question. Do I secretly want to be him? Marry Tipper? Listen to obscene lyrics? Lead my own fluorescent light bulb movement? Why such strong feelings?