Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Contradiction in Institutional Christianity

I'm not sure I've gone on and on about how much I love Tikkun recently. I should add that hearing Cornel West and Michael Lerner speak at the University of Chicago was one of the best intellectual experiences of my life. Lerner is the founder of Tikkun.

An excerpt from Richard Rohr's My Problem with Religion from Tikkun:

I believe there is a deep dilemma and contradiction at the heart of institutional Christianity. Maybe it is even a necessary one. All I know is that it can only be resolved by authentic inner experience, “prayer,” mysticism, or dare I call it, “spirituality.” I am convinced that religion, in its common cultural and external forms, largely protects the ego, especially the group ego, instead of transforming it. If people do not go beyond first level metaphors, rituals, and comprehension, most religions seem to end up with a God who is often angry, petulant, needy, jealous, and who will love us only if we are “worthy” and belonging to the correct group. We end up with the impossible scenario of a God who is “small,” and often less loving than the best people we know!
I've read the essay three times. You might want to read it.