Saturday, June 23, 2007

Movie Review: I Like Killing Flies

I Like Killing Flies is a documentary about Shopsin's, a Village eatery, which is forced to relocate due to neighborhood gentrification. The kitchen scares the bejeezus out of me, but the food looks good, and the wisdom served up by chef and philosopher, Kenny Shopsin, is coarse (at least three sexual metaphors that made me cringe), painful, and almost always true.

You can't just go to Shopsin's for a bit to eat. You have to know somebody or you'll be kicked out. And if you arrive with more than four people in your party, god help you. I'm not sure how exactly to view Kenny Shopsin. He's verbally abusive to just about everyone, but has a few moments of peace in the kitchen in which he's not a total asshole. Speaking of assholes, he definitely enforces the No Asshole Rule, and my new favorite, The Customer Is Not Always Right.