Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Noticing Change in Nature

Another practice of mindfulness that I try to employ daily is to notice how different elements in nature change. I take my morning hike and sit under an oak tree for a while. I always try to remember to notice how the light shines through the oak leaves. It's slightly different each day.

I also have a basil plant growing at the window next to my desk. I have been watching it grow for over a month, and now watch as the leaves orient themselves toward the light (and then I turn the pot).

The photograph is of a flowering sage plant in the garden, and the mystery plant in front of it (eclarkia? four o'clock?). I've been studying the mystery plant as it blooms and playing battle of the botanists with the neighbors (I'm losing).

Does anyone else monitor an element of nature at work?