Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pros and Cons of Telecommuting

I find it far easier to survive the workday by working at home. I have done so for two different employers for five years total (and that's not counting self-employed time). Recently, I came across a list of the pros and cons from monster on telecommuting and thought I would make my own list. I'm not going to advise you to get dressed in business attire (as every discussion on telecommuting does), and I'll be as honest as I can.

Pros
No one cares what you wear.
You don't have to commute, which can give you more time for other activities.
You don't have to make a lunch ahead of time or buy one.
You don't have to see the irritating coworker.
You are less suceptible to office tensions by virtue of not being physically present.


Cons
It's quite easy to turn into a big slob.
Without commuting to work, it's possible not to leave the house for a week at a time.
You have constant access to the fridge. You know what that means.
You have to do a lot more email and phone calls to equal the face time that your coworkers put in simply by being present in the office.
If there are layoffs, it's easier to lay off people that aren't physically present.

And here's that long list from monster here.