Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Call Center Confessions

In Call Center Confessions, we once again learn how horrible customers can be. This is sort of a companion article to the one about Sprint dropping customers who complain too much.

Let me note two things:

1. It's my belief that you can tell a lot about someone's character by how he or she treats people in service jobs. And I know that some customers do just act like total assholes. I get that.

2. This article portrays a classic false dichotomy in the workplace between customers and customer service. The customers get lousy service from the corporation. The corporation treats the customer service people badly by imposing time limits on calls and penalties. And then customers and customer service blame each other, not the corporation. Nicely done, corporation.

And before I go, here's a poem from a call center representative at Call Center Purgatory:


I'm drowning in your need,

overcome by your obsessions.

The current of your complaining

has pulled me to the bottom of

a world that is always dark,

always raining with a liquid form

of all your bitching and whining.