Sunday, July 29, 2007

Finding a Community

I do think that human beings have a fundamental need to belong. And one of the great strengths of a traditional work environment is that it gave workers a sense of belonging to something greater than themselves.

That work environment has changed for many of us. I work at home, for example, and have a sense of loosely belonging to many professional communities, but not strongly belonging to any one in particular. And even for those in a traditional work environment, with the advent of temporary work on contracts, many of us still feel we do not fully belong because we're not permanent in employee status.

So it was with great shock this week that I found a community of which I felt fully a part. And even as the week passed, and the community of poets separated into contingencies I still felt like I had found people who I could talk to and have real conversations with: non-consumer conversations, non-practical conversations. It literally left me stunned, and crying just about all the way home.

So with that said, I know it's Sunday, and that many of you find non-work community at church. (Ministers, I'm afraid, may be in a totally separate category, since church is "work.") And for the unchurched, I offer this: I do believe you can find community. It may be somewhere unexpected, and it may be temporary, but I do think it's possible to find it. So don't stop looking.

If you'd like to describe your work or non-work community, please leave a comment.