Monday, August 27, 2007

Free Yourself from Corporate Power

I'm not really sure I can say a civil word about popular corporate entertainment.

*thinking*

It is best accompanied by heavy drinking?

Here are some tips from Yes Magazine on freeing yourself of corporate power in entertainment.

Good Buy music directly from the artist. Support independent bookstores. Watch independent movies.

Better Make your own. Sing. Play music. Tell stories. Only 100 years ago, almost everyone did.
I'm not sure where we collectively came up with the idea that in order to be an "artist" you had to get approval from a corporation entity, but I think it's a symptom of corporate brainwashing. My poetry isn't going to win any awards, but it kept my housemates amused at Squaw for the week (and I liked their poetry too). And that's how people used to live without corporate crap. It's really not that hard to do.