Friday, August 31, 2007

Greetings from Flagstaff


We're in Flagstaff for the night on our way to a conference on sustainable energy. This photo was taken on "Fatman's Loop," a trail in the Coconino National Forest so long we couldn't finish it. Not sure where that name came from. Love how I've taken the time to put on a slicker but choose to hike in Tevas.

Flagstaff is a funny place. It's at 7000 feet with tons of hiking in the surrounding mountains. Demographically it seems like if you took all the white folks in Santa Fe (where we used to live) and just hauled them down I-40 to Arizona, you would have Flagstaff. I'm sure there is more to it than white Santa Feans....I see that there are Sedona Hummer Tours advertised in our hotel room. And they're biodiesel powered. I shouldn't find that as funny as I do. But, in all seriousness, Flagstaff and Santa Fe seem examples of convergent evolution---despite wildly different histories, they are places that look and feel remarkably similar to me.

By the way, you only have a few hours left to take my readership poll in the side column....