Thursday, August 02, 2007

Please Drink Your Tap Water

There are a fair number of real products to avoid on the marketplace. For example, avoid buying your children's toys from China, perhaps, given the recent recall of 967,000 toys with lead. Yes? I think that's a good idea.

However, stop with the bottled water. Tap water is safe. And I was on the local water board for several years, so I can tell you my water is really really really tested. There are tons of county, state, and federal regulations regarding drinking water (but not imports from China, go figure). I don't think bottled water is where you want to spend your buying dollar.

In Praise of Tap Water makes these points too. Most water in the United States is absolutely safe from the tap. And water bottles are made from petroleum products, and never really break down safely. They just end up in the ocean because polymers are forever.