Friday, September 21, 2007

Can We See More of This?

This seems like just about the perfect option for medical care for me post-college and pre-old age. I pay a doctor to be "my" doctor. He's accessible in person, over the phone, by email and IM. And I'm not gouged by a health insurance company hundreds of dollars a month for health insurance I use once or twice a year. I like this.

This model is not without some challenges and questions (What if I'm actually hospitalized? What if I get pregnant? What if I get cancer?), but it seems a big improvement over any of the health insurance I've ever had, which seems to penalize me when I use it and not cover anything of substance. This model has been around for a while, but was offered only to wealthy patients with a substantial buy-in fee. This is the first time I've seen it targeted to younger folks.