Friday, September 14, 2007

Opening in Inner Circle of Hell Filled

with Nair Executives.

As a Greek-Italian person, I know body hair very well, and would be covered in a fine pelt if I did not remove it. That said, I think there is a special place in one of the inner circles of hell for Nair, who is aggressively marketing its chemical ooze to middle school girls. And, Nair? Why wait that late? Why not start with kindergarten girls? That way they never show those unpleasant secondary sex characteristics.

The product comes in kiwi and peach scents, in packages that show illustrations of doe-eyed teenage girls, and for the first time Nair is marketing directly to middle-schoolers. Ads for Nair Pretty, which are running in magazines like CosmoGirl and Seventeen, make no mention of boys or romance, but rather suggest that the depilatory is a stubble-free path to empowerment.

“I am a citizen of the world,” reads the ad copy. “I am a dreamer. I am fresh. I am so not going to have stubs sticking out of my legs.”

I am a dreamer too, and I dream of a world without the world's grossest hair removal product, Nair. You could read Dipilatory Market Moves Beyond Short-Shorts Wearers if you want to feel ill. You've been warned. Hair removal is not empowerment.

Via Gawker