Thursday, September 06, 2007

Will Baby Boomers Ever Retire?

Yes, of course they will. We hope so. For their sake. Wave of Retirement Will Thin Ranks of Skilled Workers projects great numbers of job openings for Generation X due to the Baby Boomer retirement. I'm not quite as sure.

On the one hand, Baby Boomer retirement is good news for most of Generation X waiting for senior level positions. However, I hardly think many Boomers can retire anytime soon or will retire en masse. Baby Boomers have a three-part challenge: potentially paying for college tuition for their children, aging parent costs, and funding their own retirement. Those three factors don't spell retirement to me (or for me for that matter)*. That spells working quite a bit longer.

*I'm not a boomer. I'm firmly in the middle of Generation X.